Building a high-performing team to drive your business goals is no easy feat. It takes forethought, strategy, and the ability to envision how the right mix of talent could catapult your operations to the next level.
Luckily, creating a staffing plan isn’t some elusive art form. Follow these 7 essential steps to transform your approach from chaotic to strategic. With the right roadmap, you’ll assemble an all-star roster ready to accelerate success.
Without further ado, here’s a seven-point plan on how to make a staffing plan.
Step #1: Map Out Your Business Blueprint in Vivid Detail
Before you can build your fantasy lineup, you need to understand precisely what game you’re gearing up for. Start by outlining your overall business plan and SMART goals across key areas like:
- Revenue growth targets
- New products or markets you aim to launch
- Expanded client services to offer
- Improved production workflows
- Enhanced customer experience benchmarks
- Lower customer churn rates
- Faster turnaround times for key processes
Define what winning looks like across all fronts. Get ultra-clear on the concrete results you expect in the next 12-18 months to unlock. This big-picture perspective spotlights what kinds of talent acquisitions can best support the outcomes you’re pursuing.
Document your business plan vigorously so you can reference the high-priority goals, projects in motion, and performance milestones as you structure your staffing approach.
Step #2: Forecast Budgets for Your Staffing Needs
Hiring and expanding your team comes with a price tag attached. So it’s critical to ground your staffing plan in financial reality by asking:
- What’s your all-in yearly budget for human capital investments?
- How much can you allocate towards new hires monthly or quarterly?
- What salary and benefits costs fit within your budget?
- What bonuses, pay raises, and advancement opportunities can you realistically provide?
Crunch the numbers to derive income statements and cash flow projections that accurately reflect your current finances and growth trajectory.
While building a stellar team may be priority #1, you can’t spend what you don’t have. Cutting too close to the bone on compensation often leads to high turnover when talent leaves for better offers.
Use your projections to determine reasonable salary ranges, bonuses, and benefits packages for each role you hope to fill. This helps calibrate your hiring plan to fiscal constraints so you don’t overextend yourself or promise compensation you can’t follow through on.
Pro Tip: Get creative on ways to trim costs in other areas or boost revenue to free up more funds for critical hires that require higher paychecks.
Step #3: Audit Your Current Team’s Skills
Before rushing off to recruit new sidekicks, start by assessing who already sits around your kitchen table. Human capital is your most precious resource, so it pays dividends to optimize how you leverage the team already on your roster.
Take inventory of:
- Your staff’s greatest strengths and interests
- Development areas holding them back from higher performance
- Who might be ready for a stretch assignment or promotion
- Who merits additional training or coaching
- Low performers that may need to transition off the team
This analysis spotlights skill gaps your next hires could fill while revealing hidden gems within your ranks primed to take on expanded responsibility.
Pro Tip: Don’t just have managers conduct these reviews. Gather input directly from employees on where they excel and need development so you don’t overlook rising stars.
As you fill positions, continue performing regular skills audits and career path mapping. This ensures you keep maximizing and elevating existing staff while adding roles that best complement your bench.
Step #4: Define The Dream Team Roles You’ll Need to Fill
With your business objectives, budgets, and existing capabilities crystallized, next outline the new roles required to round out your lineup.
- Core responsibilities for each position
- Must-have hard and soft skills sought
- The immediate priority in filling it
- Longer-term growth trajectory envisioned
For example, new roles might include:
- Remote Customer Success Advocates to improve client retention
- An Operations Manager to streamline workflows
- Class A CDL Drivers to reduce shipping delays
- SQL Database Developers to build analytics capacity
Prioritize which openings are truly mission-critical versus those you could staff internally or operate without. This sharpens your focus on securing rockstar talent where it matters most today while laying the groundwork for future recruiting waves once the budget frees up.
Pro Tip: Balance recruiting for current needs with anticipating what skills could become pivotal 6-12 months out based on your strategy.
Step #5: Write Job Descriptions That Attract Your Ideal Talent
You defined the roles. But it’s equally crucial to craft compelling job descriptions to promote these opportunities. This sales pitch spotlights:
- The most exciting aspects of the position
- Problems this person will solve
- Qualifications and must-have abilities
- Benefits and advancement potential that ignite interest
Getting this positioning right helps entice applicants eager to take on challenges meaningful to them in exchange for advancement, autonomy, or purpose-alignment you provide.
Pro Tip: Showcase your company culture and values. Top talent seeks environments where they can thrive and grow, not just pick up a paycheck.
Step #6: Map Out Your Plan for a smart hiring process
With roles framed up, it’s time to execute your staffing plan! But first, design your playbook for shepherding applicants efficiently towards offers without rushing key assessments.
Outline your process covering:
- What screening criteria each candidate must meet to advance
- Who conducts phone screens, skills assessments, and interviews – when
- How hiring decisions get made within your leadership team
- Timeframe from application to offer stage
Codifying this workflow upfront increases velocity to bring great talent on board before they get restless while upholding standards key to your success metrics.
Pro Tip: Set milestones like “Evaluate initial application batch within 5 business days” and “Advance top 5% to skills assessment within 3 days” to keep your recruiting pipeline humming.
Step #7: Spread the Word Through Multiple Channels
You laid your foundation. Now get the word out far and wide through the channels best suited to connect with rockstars ready to apply for your roles.
As part of your hiring playbook, specify plans for:
- Employee referrals: bonuses, peer-to-peer outreach
- Social media campaigns spotlighting your brand
- Recruiters within niche industry networks
- Events, hackathons, and development programs for accessing emerging talent
Cast a wide net leveraging multiple avenues tailored to the audiences that contain your future team members. Then nurture these talent pools continually so you have a steady stream of qualified applicants when new openings arise.
Pro Tip: Don’t just post and pray. Take an active listening approach to curating talent communities you engage with beyond just blasting job requisitions.
Gear Up for Lift-Off with Your Developed Staffing Plan
Building a roster purpose-built to deliver your business goals takes vision and commitment. But embark on this voyage armed with the right map and you’ll assemble a squad that takes your operations to new heights.
Follow these 7 key steps to level up your approach from chaotic to strategic. Then watch your newly formed dream team accelerate success faster than you dared imagine. The time is now – are you ready to play Moneyball and rewrite what winning means for your company? Let’s do this!
Why Choose Help Resource for Your Staffing Needs?
Here at Help Resource, we pride ourselves on being your ultimate staffing partner. With a focus on delivering top-notch solutions, we offer a range of services tailored to cater to your diverse needs. Whether you’re in need of temporary staffing services or outsource staffing, we’ve got you covered.
Our IT Outstaffing and Project-Based Staffing services are designed to alleviate your staffing concerns. Now, you can focus on your core competencies while we take care of the staffing intricacies. Our commitment to excellence ensures that your projects are not only delivered on time.
Choose Help Resource for your staffing needs. Now watch your business flourish!